Thursday, September 18, 2008

Way to represent!

Preface:
Last year in school Kassidy did a report on Jackie Robinson. She has a poster with his quote still hanging in her room. Mitchell has pointed out to us at Rockies games that every team has retired Jackie's #42, even the Rockies have his number posted on their outfield wall in honor of him.
Now to the real story...
Mitchell came home from school Monday asking if he had our permission to run for 4th grade Student Council Representative. We agreed. So he said, "Then I need to write a speech for tomorrow." We gave him a few ideas (none of which he really accepted) and set him in front of a Word document and he typed away.
The finished product was delivered to his class on Tuesday before the elections.
Here it is:
Hi, I'm Mitchell. One of my favorite baseball players said, "A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." This man, named Jackie Robinson was a great hero. He stood up for the rights of many under privileged people.
Buffalo Trail is a great school. I would like to be your Student Council Representative to help make sure we stick together to have a great school year, just like last, but better! We have only have one year in 4th grade. Let's make it the year we remember as adults. To do that, vote for me as representative. Remember my speech and think we don't want a bug as representative. Go Buffs!

Yes, he is 9yrs old. While other candidates promised "change", such as longer recess and more candy. He simply showed a glimpse into his character. What a kid!
So now, we live with the 4th grade Student Council Representative.
Did you doubt him for even a second?

15 comments:

This Girl said...

Congratulations Mitchell! That is so exciting.

Sayyadina said...

Didn't doubt him for a second. But I think I'm allergic to his speech.

The other night, Lemur was having a rough time going to bed on time. I told him he needed to sleep well so he could grow into a strong, happy boy. He said, "Like Mitchell?"

Sheri said...

That is so awesome! what a great kid! My 10 year old surprised me with a paper he wrote this past week too! They really are born smarter than us!!

The Dixon Family said...

Nope, I sure didn't (doubt him, that is).

What a kid.

Canyonsrcool said...

B, you've said that Mitchell reminds you of me. I guess you now know where he gets it . . . ;)

Angie said...

He would have had my vote too. I can't believe what a big kid he has become!!

CowboyBob said...

Congratulations, Mitchell!

love ya,

Julie said...

Way to go Mitchell! That was a great speech. I loved the quote by Jackie Robinson.

Karen said...

He had my vote from the start. I'm going to get his autograph at church...

Unknown said...

I love it! He is such a great kid! You guys are such good examples! Tell him "Way to go!"

Desertbound said...

Way to go, Mitch!

Erin said...

Someone has a career in politics ahead! Nicely done!

DreamPacker said...

I think I'm allergic sniff* too. Wow, whatta boy!

natalie said...

WOW. His speech is so good!! It is amazing that at 9yrs old he's writing like that!!!

Devony said...

Holy buckets that's amazing! He'll be a great public speaker one day! Congrats Mitchell!