Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Birthdays, Bucket Lists and Baseball

When Brandon and I met almost 15 years ago, I was playing on a co-ed softball team and he was coaching a Little League team. He may even tell you that is where he fell in love with me - watching me go for a grounder while playing 2nd base. We still love playing ball. I have been playing on a co-ed team this spring. Our kids have learned to love it as well. We are in the process of signing Mitch and Kass up for summer ball.
Brandon got the chance to go to one of the World Series games last fall here in Colorado. He was able to witness history made as the Bosox won the Series against our beloved Rockies. He has always had the dream of going to every ball park in the US. We talked of retiring and driving our RV around the country one summer to go to every ball park. We have made it to a few together all ready.
Last week while watching Opening Day of MLB, one announcer mentioned that this would be the final season for Yankee Stadium before it is torn down. Brandon and I looked at each other in shock. I said, "If that is true, you have to go this year."
He got on the internet and yes indeed, Yankee Stadium will be gone, as well as the neighboring Shea Stadium where the Mets play.
So, today on his birthday, we are planning for things to be checked off his "bucket list". He will be going to NY this spring to attend a game at Yankee and one at Shea.
To quote Warren Miller,
"If you don't do it this year,
you will be one year older when you do."
But next year, the house that Babe built will be gone.
Below is Brandon with friend and Bosox fan Bill at World Series 2007

7 comments:

Angie said...

Good for him! Tyler will be so envious. You have to take those opportunities to make a memory. We'll look for pictures later of the trip!

Canyonsrcool said...

That's pretty cool!

WildBound said...

HAppy Birthday, Brandon! Yea for Brandon's bucket list!

Desertbound said...

Happy Birthday, Brandon! Have a blast back in NY. I love how you make things happen :)

Sayyadina said...

I can't believe I got all teary reading that. I am no fan of baseball, but his bucket list is both sad and beautiful. Way to love him enough to send him! Happy Birthday Brother in law!

CowboyBob said...

I'm jealous. I guess I need a bucket list of my own. Have fun, Brandon!

Ahenobarbus Textor said...

Right on! Hey, we're just 15 min. way from the Card's stadium, and will have a guest bedroom in a couple months... just FYI