Saturday, January 12, 2008

Wrinkles, Races, and Rivers



On Monday afternoon, Brandon said to me, " I hate these wrinkles in life. They just slow you down."
Oh to be slowed down. First, my hubby is not a sitter, he is a do-er. If it is cleaning the shower and the toilets, he does it. If it is mowing the lawn and fixing a sprinkler head, he does it. If it is helping neighbors with Christmas lights and snow shoveling, he does it. If it is running after neighbor's loose dogs, catching them and then fixing their broken fence that let them out, he does it. If it is rappelling down the slot canyon rope, just to climb up and go around to jump down the second time, he does it. He doesn't sit still for long. I have never told him this, but there are times when I intentionally say, "Isn't there a football game on TV you are interested in?" just so he will sit for a while.
Friends we have traveled with think we could totally win the Amazing Race. But he doesn't know what they are talking about because he hasn't sat down to watch that show.
Then there are times when life's wrinkles get in the way and slow you down a little. Not the wrinkles on our face, not the smile lines that show happy eyes or the furrowed brow that shows deep thought. He means the bumps, bends, and turns that you must go over, go around or just stop in front of for a time.
That is when you have to set aside the TO DO List and just wait for your sponge bath.

In 1869 John Wesley Powell became the first to run the Colorado River through the Grand Canyon. He wrote:

"We have an unknown distance yet to run;
and unknown river yet to explore.
What falls there are we know not;
what rocks beset the channel, we know not;
what walls rise over the river, we know not."
At some point, I believe we knew what some of life's challenges would be. We were presented with the idea and plan. We raised our hand and said "Send me."
I am sure Brandon didn't pause, he just took off at full speed and only slows when he has to.

9 comments:

WildBound said...

Hmm.. anyone got any allergy meds? My eyes keep watering...

Desertbound said...

Sniff - Oh, we love that man! The Lord certainly sent Brandon here to "get a lot done". He is a guardian angel for many people. I am sure he will heal quickly and yet take this opportunity for STILLNESS and use it for a purpose.

The Dixon Family said...

Glad he's okay. I've been thinking about you guys every day.

“A gem cannot be polished without friction, nor a man perfected without trials.”

CowboyBob said...

If events along the way don't teach one to slow down and be still occasionally, then aging will. I've never liked it either.

Karen said...

Oh Bethany, we love the Price family. We have had you in our prayers and thoughts all week. Let us know if you need anything.

Sayyadina said...

Uh-oh, not only are my eyes watering, but my heart is about to sneeze. I love you both.

Gomez said...

WOW!!! You both are so amazing. Tell Brandon, when he is all healed and ready to go, that I have 3 bathroom here just waiting for him.

natalie said...

I'm so sorry to hear about what happened. It's nice to see how positive you are though! I'll be thinking of you.

Erin said...

Bethany- I need an update. What happened? I am looking for your email, do you have mine? If all else fails, resort to the old-fashioned method: telephone.