Monday, August 6, 2007

Not all those who wander are lost...

I just read an article in my latest issue of National Geographic's Adventure magazine. It has peeked my interest in reading the book which inspired the article's author.
The book is called No Picnic on Mount Kenya by Felice Benuzzi.
It is about 3 Italian POW's in WWII in Africa. They are held in a camp by the British. One day one of them catches a glimpse of the far off mountain. He sets a plan in motion. They spend 8 months gathering, making and hiding supplies. Then they escape from camp, risking at the least, solitary confinement, at most, death, just to climb a mountain. They risk their lives for the sake of adventure, to reclaim their spirits, to have a purpose. When their journey is finished they sneak back into camp. Back in the prison camp, Benuzzi imagined his journey was a dream and the mountain was talking to him. "In your dream you did not conquer me, but you have reconquered yourselves."
Let me know, if any of you have heard of or read this book. I am going to try to find it.

5 comments:

Desertbound said...

I have my magazine but haven't read the article yet. I'm excited to now! Thanks for the fun message on my answering machine! love you!

DreamPacker said...

I have ordered the book from the library. They had it on the shelf. Thanks for the idea.

This Girl said...

Try Amazon.com. They have tons of books and I'm sure that they would have it cheap too. Sounds like a great book, I might give it a try.

DreamPacker said...

I just finished the book. It was very interesting, highly recommended to read. I looked up Mount Kenya to see the "giant" unusual plants. What a story! To see what they accomplished under such adverse conditions.

Devony said...

wow this sounds really cool!